Don Hollenbeck, Broadcast Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of correspondence and radio transcripts created during Hollenbeck’s career with the NBC and the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS). There are a few broadcasts from American Broadcasting Company (ABC). The programs include special broadcasts, along with Hollenbeck’s “War Journal,” “CBS Views the Press,” and “You are There.” Many of these were produced during World War II. There is a scrapbook and several 3 dimensional items.
The collection is roughly arranged in the following order: correspondence, professional records and transcripts, ephemera, and audio recordings.
- 1926 - 1986
- Majority of material found within 1940 - 1954
- Hollenbeck, Don, 1905-1954 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyrights are retained by the creators of the papers or their designees.
Biographical / Historical
Don Hollenbeck was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, on March 30, 1905. He attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and graduated from the College of Journalism. He began his first job at the Nebraska State Journal in 1926. Later, in 1928, he went to work for the Omaha Bee-News (Omaha, Nebraska). He moved to New York in 1937 and worked as a picture editor for the Associated Press. In 1943, now working for National Broadcasting Company (NBC), he became part of their London staff and transferred to Algiers where he covered the British Fifth Army troop landings at Salerno, Italy. He joined the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) radio news staff in 1946 and won the Polk Memorial Award in 1950 from Long Island University for his radio program, "CBS Views the Press." On June 22, 1954 Hollenbeck died by suicide.
9 Boxes (5.5 linear feet)
Language of Materials
These papers were donated to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication starting in 2007. The records were then transferred to Archives & Special Collections by Professor Larry Walklin.
- Anti-communist movements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Broadcast journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- CBS Radio Network
- CBS views the press
- Hollenbeck, Don, 1905-1954
- Journalistic errors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalistic ethics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- NBC International
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio journalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radio journalists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Journalists Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- You are there (Television program)
- scripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- transcripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Nebraska--Lincoln. College of Journalism and Mass Communications (Organization)
- Walklin, Larry (Person)
- Don Hollenbeck, Broadcast Papers
- Madison White and Josh Caster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives & Special Collections, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries Repository
Archives & Special Collections
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries
P.O. Box 884100
Lincoln NE 68588-4100 United States