Ferrero-Silber, Quilt Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers consist of research and audio visual material compiled by Pat Ferrero and Julie Silber for their film, Hearts and Hands: A Social History of Nineteenth Century Women and Quilts. Included in the collection is correspondence with quilt historians, along with research articles sent to Ferrero and Silber. The research files are primarily articles pertaining to a wide range of topics concerning nineteenth century women, social history, and quilting, almost all of them photocopies. Additional topics include temperance, women's suffrage, the Civil War, history of weaving, and Medieval cloth-making. There is also an extensive collection of photographs on the same topics, also all photocopies. The audio visual materials mostly consist of 16mm films.
- Ferrero, Pat, 1942- (Person)
- Silber, Julie, 1944- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are only minimally processed but are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with the University of Nebraska. Copyrights are retained by the creators of the papers or their designees. For permission to reproduce or to publish, please contact Archives & Special Collections.
Biographical / Historical
Pat Ferrero is an independent filmmaker whose work as a producer and director includes Hopi: Songs of the Fourth World, Hearts & Hands, and Quilts in Women's Lives. Julie Silber is a quilt expert, author, and the former curator of the Esprit Quilt Collection. Their film Hearts & Hands "chronicles the lives of ordinary women as well as individuals such as Harriet Tubman, Elizabeth Keckley, Frances Willard and Abigail Scott Duniway through the great 19th century events: industrialization, abolition, the Civil War, westward movement, temperance and suffrage. For nineteenth century women, quilts were the podium, the pulpit and the judges' gavel, which their society denied them. Their quilts speak the language of abolition, patriotism, politics, social justice and westward expansion."
36 Linear Feet (35 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quiltmakers--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quilts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quilts--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women--United States--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Quilt Study Group (Organization)
- Finding aid updated by Sarah Glover and Jaxon Gilner, 2022-2023.
- (cc) 2023
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives & Special Collections, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries Repository
Archives & Special Collections
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries
P.O. Box 884100
Lincoln NE 68588-4100 United States