College of Journalism and Mass Communications, Alumni Association Records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains newsletters, reunion planning documents, directories, and biographical files related to the Alumni of the College of Journalism and Mass Communications. Newsletters were used by the College to solicit money, keep graduates up to date with events and news from the college, and document the accomplishments of alumni and faculty. Biographical files contain information on graduates' activities during their time as a student and in the years following their graduation. They include information about graduation dates, internship and honors, employment, family, and places the graduate lived.
- 1917 - 2010
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is owned by the records' original creators.
Biographical / Historical
Journalism classes at the University of Nebraska began in 1894 under the direction of Will Owen Jones, both a student and a faculty member. Miller Moore Fogg, a professor in English, directed the School of Journalism after it formed in 1923. In 1979 the School became independent of the College of Arts and Sciences and in 1985 became officially the College of Journalism. It is now known as the College of Journalism and Mass Communications.
3.35 Linear Feet (3 containers)
Language of Materials
The College of Journalism and Mass Communications donated this material in 2016. A few alumni publications were also donated by alum Roger Boye in 2016.
In 2023, Ross Schroeder and Madison White processed the collection. When files came to the archive, some alumni biographical files were stored by individual and some were by year. Because of this , the files were condensed so that each graduating class had one folder with all its graduates. Duplicates were weeded and everything was housed in new folders. The collection was then described in a finding aid, to reflect the new arrangement.
- Biography Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Class reunions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Nebraska--Lincoln--Directories Subject Source: Local sources
- University of Nebraska--Lincoln. College of Journalism and Mass Communications
- University of Nebraska. Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Local sources
- directories Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College of Journalism and Mass Communications, Alumni Association Records
- Madison White and Ross Schroeder
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description written in English
Part of the Archives & Special Collections, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries Repository
Archives & Special Collections
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries
P.O. Box 884100
Lincoln NE 68588-4100 United States