History, Agronomy Department Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains general materials, yearbooks and photographs that pertain to the Agronomy Department and the Agricultural Experiment Station.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln Department of Agronomy first appeared in the university’s course catalogs in 1905-1906, but has been an integral part of agricultural studies since the beginning of the College of Agriculture in 1872. In 1906, the Department of Agronomy contained three staff members, T.L. Lyon, Alvin Keyser, and E.G. Montgomery, when it was divided into two the Department of Soils and the Department of Field Crops. In 1909, the departments were renamed the Departments of Agronomy and Farm Management and Experimental Agronomy. From 1909-1916, the department was renamed several more times before officially combining as the Department of Agronomy under the direction of William W. Burr in 1916. The Department of Agronomy was renamed once more when it merged with the Department of Horticulture to become the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture in 2001.
0.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Archives & Special Collections, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries Repository
Archives & Special Collections
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries
P.O. Box 884100
Lincoln NE 68588-4100 United States