Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha Records
The Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha (MCC Omaha) was chartered in 1974 as the first church in Omaha with positive ministry activities to the LGBTQ+ community. The MCC Omaha Records are comprised of 2.5 cubic feet of documents and photographs from 1959 through 2017 with the bulk of items dated 1973 to 1975 and 1996 to 2003. Photographs of church events and other activities from 1987 through 2003 make up most of the collection. There is a gap in materials from 1975 through the mid-1990s, photographs aside.
Materials from 1973 to 1975 cover the foundation of MCC Omaha, especially Reverend Fredrick Zydek’s role in founding the Omaha church. Documents from this time also consist of sermon notes, church governance, and Reverend Fredrick Zydek’s leaving MCC Omaha in 1975. The collection also has church newsletters from August 1973 to 1975 and 1995 to January of 2014, materials related to MCC Omaha events from 1974 through early 2000s, service programs circa 1973 to 1974, materials from an MCC Omaha Bible study, and material created during the tenure of Pastor Tom Emmett (2007-2019).
Series in this collection are General, Events, Governance, Newsletters, Photographs, and Worship Services / Bible Studies. Descriptions for each of these series are found by clicking on the series title in the folder list.
- 1959 - 2017
- Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
2.5 Cubic Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection has been arranged and described.
Material was created and assembled into albums by MCC Omaha throughout its history. Members of MCC Omaha began identifying people in photographs by attaching notes to album pages after weekly service on 1/29/2017.
New material added May 28, 2019: Pastor Tom Emmett gathered the historical records from storage at MCC Omaha and compiled the material from his tenure for donation.
- Christian gays -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Church buildings -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community churches -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha
- Queer Omaha Archives Subject Source: Local sources
- Religious gatherings -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- church bulletins Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha (Donor, Organization)
- Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha Records
- Amy Schindler, Angela Kroeger, Kassian Lemke-Elznic
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- 3rd edition
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States