Lourdes Gouveia Papers
Dr. Lourdes Gouveia gathered a considerable amount of information about Latino immigrants in the Nebraska meat packing industry, particularly in Lexington, Nebraska. This collection reflects her efforts and consists of her research materials, data, and writing from 1988 - 2016. Much of the collection covers Gouveia's research in Lexington, Nebraska during the 1990s.
In Lexington, Gouveia studied the impact of the opening of a new Iowa Beef Packing plant and the influx of Latino/Latin American families moving to the area. Gouveia's work focuses on immigrant integration, the experiences of Latina women in migrant communities, social services available to Latinx families, and the ethical concerns of beefpacking labor. Gouveia also did research and wrote papers on issues pertaining to e. coli, INS internal enforcement strategies, and English Language learning.
The INS Taskforce series collects items from her time working in taskforce convened by Governor Johanns to address the crisis resulting from Operation Vanguard.
The collection also contains audio cassettes of interviews, three atlases of Dawson County Nebraska, grant information, reports, and material about OLLAS (the Office of Latino and Latin American Studies) at the University of Nebraska of Omaha of which Gouveia was the inaugural director.
This collection is currently being arranged and described.
- Majority of material found within 1980-2010
- Gouveia, Lourdes (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
15 Cubic Feet (41 document boxes)
Language of Materials
Professor Lourdes Gouveia, PhD, gathered and created these materials. Gouveia transferred the collection to UNO Criss Library Archives and Special Collections on July 26, 2016.
Please note that this collection is currently being arranged and described. Online information will subject to change as the finding aid is updated.
- College administrators -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hispanic Americans -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Immigrants -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Immigration advocates Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Meat industry and trade -- Employees -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Packing-houses -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- atlases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lourdres Gouveia Papers
- In Progress
- Accessioned by Les Valentine and Angela Kroeger in 2016. Kassian Lemke-Elznic, project staff, in 2022. Anabel Hazelton, student employee, in 2023. Lori Schwartz, Hagel and Technical Services Archivist, in 2023.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- American Library Association’s American Rescue Plan: Humanities Grants for Libraries (March-September 2022).
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States