Lourdes Gouveia Papers
During Professor Lourdes Gouveia’s research she acquired and organized in file folders a considerable amount of information about Latino immigrants in the Nebraska meat packing industry, particularly in Lexington, Nebraska. The collection includes census materials, periodical articles, and interviews. The collection also contains audio cassettes of interviews, three atlases, and grant reports and other material about OLLAS (the Office of Latino and Latin American Studies) at the University of Nebraska of Omaha of which Gouveia was the director.
- Majority of material found within 1980s-2000s
- Gouveia, Lourdes (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
20 Cubic Feet (20 boxes) : correspondence; other papers; audio cassette tapes; three paperback atlases; news clippings
Language of Materials
Collection is in original order, as organized by Dr. Gouveia. Collection has not yet been arranged and described.
Professor Lourdes Gouveia gathered these materials during her research into Latino immigrants working in the meat packing industry, specifically in Lexington, Nebraska. Prof. Gouveia transferred these materials to Criss Library Archives & Special Collections on July 26, 2016.
- College administrators -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hispanic Americans -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Immigrants -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Meat industry and trade -- Employees -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Packing-houses -- Nebraska -- Lexington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- atlases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lourdres Gouveia Latino Immigration and the Lexington, Nebraska, Meat Packing Industry Collection
- Les Valentine; Angela Kroeger
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States