Ruth Diamond Levinson Dance Collection
Scope and Contents
Collection of material related to the dance program at the University of Omaha, including a scrapbook, a spiral notebook containing handwritten music, a collage of photographs laminated onto a wooden wall hanging, correspondence, departmental records, event programs, posters, photographs, news clippings, photocopies. The scrapbook includes photographs, news clippings, and ephemera including dried flower corsages. The photo collage plaque was given to Levinson at the time of her retirement.
The majority of the material, including the scrapbook, dates to 1940-1942, but some articles and programs date back into the early to mid-1930s, and some notes and letters are dated 1988.
- Majority of material found within predominant 1940-1942
- Levinson, Ruth Diamond, 1911-2013 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
0.5 Cubic Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Collection has not yet been arranged and described.
Received by Criss Library prior to 2014. Accession details are incomplete or absent. A note in one of the folders shows that some of the materials were mailed to the University Archivist by Ruth Diamond Levinson in 1988.
In February 2016, it was discovered that some newer materials had mistakenly been added to the box, which may have originated with Josie Metal-Corbin's research into the history of the UNO dance program. In March 2016, Archives and Special Collections staff removed two modern posters known to have originated with Josie Metal-Corbin and one folder containing a DVD of Vera Lundahl images and printouts thereof, to relocate these to the UNO Dance Collection and the Vera Lundahl Papers respectively.
Items known to have originated with Ruth Diamond Levinson are a scrapbook, news clippings, photographs, and a photo collage plaque given to Levinson at the time of her retirement. The scrapbook includes photographs, news clippings, and ephemera including dried flower corsages.
Other materials in the collection might have originated with Ruth Diamond Levinson, Vera Lundahl, or Josie Metal-Corbin.
- Dance -- Study and teaching -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dance companies -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Levinson, Ruth Diamond, 1911-2013
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Nebraska at Omaha
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- cultural artifacts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- scores Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- theater programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ruth Diamond Levinson Dance Collection
- Angela Kroeger; Amy Schindler
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- 2nd edition
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States