YMCA of Greater Omaha Records
The records of the YMCA of Greater Omaha include material from the organization’s founding in the 19th century through the 21st century. Material documenting board meetings from the 1880s to the early 21st century is nearly complete. Also included are: newsletters and newspapers, fundraising material, membership information, marketing material, photographs (bulk 1970s-1990s), scrapbooks, and a small amount of media formats including VHS videotapes. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings as well as ephemera such as broadsides and booklets. In addition to the activities of the boards of directors, fundraising, and membership, other topics with at least sporadic documentation include programming, long range planning, summer camps, athletic teams such as basketball and football, and others. Programming material includes contemporary athletic activities, after school programs, social services, and other programming, while the early material documents programs for recent immigrants, evening education, athletics, and similar. While the primary audience for the YMCA's programming was men, women were admitted to some programs, such as night school. The collection includes subject files maintained by the Metro Office in the late 1960s-early 1990s, records of the now closed Miller Park branch, and records of the Council Bluffs YMCA from before its merger with the YMCA of Greater Omaha in 1972.
The collection is currently being arranged and described.
Photographs, scrapbooks, newsletters, and other materials from the collection are currently being digitized. Selected materials are available in the YMCA of Greater Omaha Collection in Islandora (https://repository.unomaha.edu/islandora/object/unomaha%3Aymca) with more added on an ongoing basis.
New material added in November and December 2016, from Maple St., Mills County, and Southwest YMCA branches:
The YMCA of Greater Omaha accrual from the Maple St. YMCA (the branch was originally known as the West branch when it opened in 1965) is primarily photographs, but also includes documents about the branch and building’s construction and history. Notable documents include programs from the branch’s dedication in 1965, construction documents, advertisements or posters on newspring, and three super8 films only identified as relating to the YMCA West branch. The photographs are primarily from the 1960s and 2000s, but there is some representation from throughout the Maple St. Y’s history. The photographs document building renovations, Indian Guides (a father son YMCA program similar to the Boy Scouts), camps, playground building day, and other activities at the branch.
The YMCA of Greater Omaha accrual from the Southwest YMCA includes photographs of Indian Guides activities (circa 1980s), a program from the branch’s dedication (1997), and memories of the Y shared by members for the YMCA’s 150th anniversary. Objects related to the Indian Guides loaned by members to the branch and loaned to Archives & Special Collections for photographing include a boy’s Indian Guides vest, an Indian Guides necklace with medallions, a board showing examples of knots, and a wooden Indian Guides craft project.
The YMCA of Greater Omaha accrual from the Mills County YMCA includes photographs, news clippings, and board minutes (2015-2016) from the branch’s first ten years. The photographs document children’s sports teams, Mills County YMCA employees, and events such as the annual Support Our Community hamball and salad meal. Also received were YMCA of Greater Omaha annual reports from 2007-2009.
- YMCA of Greater Omaha (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Conditions Governing Use
90.28 Cubic Feet (80 boxes, 45 volumes, 6 folders, 2 objects) : Correspondence, Ledgers, Other papers, Photographs, Slides, Negatives, Scrapbooks, Photo albums, Videos (VHS), CDs (audio), CDs (data), Annual Reports
0.2 Megabytes (Digital files)
Language of Materials
Most of the collection was stored by the YMCA in a central storeroom for varying lengths of time. A small portion of the collection (about 12 cubic feet) had been stored in YMCA staff members’ offices immediately before transfer to Criss Library. The bulk of the material was received by the Criss Library on March 20, 2015, and the remainder was received on April 1, 2015.
New material added 2015-10-29: Vicki Hallberg, retired executive secretary of YMCA of Greater Omaha, retrieved the material from the YMCA’s central office to add to the collection.
New material added 2016-01-14: The YMCA of Greater Omaha received the volleyball and trophy from the children of Carl Scheer.
New material added 2016-05-18: YMCA staff received the correspondence as a gift from an individual who had purchased them in an antique store.
New material added 2016-11-30: Material was in the basement of the Maple St. YMCA (formerly known as the West branch). Some material was damaged by water during a previous flood incident. Material transferred to archives by Lindy Pfingsten, Multi Branch Executive Director of the Maple St. and Butler-Gast YMCA.
New material added 2016-11-30: Material was in the offices of the executive director and membership director at the Southwest branch. Some material was received as a loan from Y members and will be offered back to those members after Archives & Special Collections photographs the objects. Material transferred to archives by Jill Schoenherr, Executive Director of the Southwest YMCA.
New material added 2016-12-06: Material was in the offices of Diana Burchett, Executive Director, and Michelle Grassau, Membership Director, of the Mills County YMCA.
- CD-ROMs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- VHS (TM) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- YMCA of Greater Omaha -- Records and correspondence
- Young Men's Christian Association of Omaha -- Records and correspondence
- Young Men's Christian associations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Young Men’s Christian Association of Council Bluffs -- Records and correspondence
- annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- compact discs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- film reels Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- ledgers (account books) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- YMCA of Greater Omaha (Creator, Organization)
- Young Men's Christian Association of Omaha (Creator, Organization)
- Young Men’s Christian Association of Council Bluffs (Creator, Organization)
- YMCA of Greater Omaha (Donor, Organization)
- YMCA of Greater Omaha Records
- Angela Kroeger; Amy Schindler
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- 6th edition
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States