Omaha Theater Company Records
Scope and Contents
The Omaha Theater Company Records contain materials from 1949 to the present, documenting the history of the organization, its administration, and its productions. The organization changed names during the covered period, starting as the Omaha Junior Theater in 1948, becoming the Emmy Gifford Children's Theater in 1977, and becoming the Omaha Theater Company for Young People in 1993, eventually shortening the name to the Omaha Theater Company. The group performed in the Center Theater from 1974 until 1993, when they moved into the Rose Blumkin Performing Arts Center, commonly known as The Rose. The collection includes season and show programs, posters, brochures, flyers, publicity material, news articles, production schedules, play synopses, study guides, scripts, cast lists, photographs (some framed), slides, set design original paintings and drawings, costume design original paintings and drawings, theater layouts, scrapbooks, video recordings of advertisements (VHS), video recordings of productions (MiniDV), financial information, Board of Trustees membership information, meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, conference information, proposals, contracts, memos, bylaws, scholarship information, insurance information, personnel information, inventory information, policies, planning documents, organizational history documents, newsletters, theatre floor plans, remodeling information, information about relationships and partnerships with other organizations, Heritage Theater information, Dance Theater information, and miscellaneous information. Part of the collection has not yet been arranged or described.
New material added 2014-09-29: The accession includes programs, flyers, and other publicity material for the 2012-2013 season of performances and classes along with material from Teens ‘N’ Theater from circa 2002-2012. The Teens ‘N’ Theater material includes flyers, programs, an example script produced by the participants, as well as material from Pride Players, an ensemble of high school students that explores issues facing gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and straight allied teens.
- 1949 - 2014
- Omaha Theater Company (Organization)
- Gifford, Emmy (Artist, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
35.6 Cubic Feet (5 file cabinets; 1 map case drawer; 12 boxes; 1 loose oversized item)
Three loose series: Series: File cabinets; Series: Oversized items (boxed); Series: Matted artwork. Collection includes material that has not yet been further arranged and described.
In December 1989, Amy Kunz of the Emmy Gifford Children's Theater (now the Omaha Theater Company) donated a small collection of materials to the UNO Library (now the Criss Library). This donation was received by Robert Nash, Collection Development Librarian. In August 1990, Mark Hoeger of the EGCT donated a larger portion of the organization's records to the Library, with the stipulations that any materials not retained by the Library were to be returned to the Theater, and that the Theater would annually transfer new materials to the Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Omaha Theater Company.
The Omaha Theater Company donates new materials to the Criss Library annually.
Processed by Criss Library staff prior to 2014.
- Children's theater -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Emmy Gifford Childrens Theater -- Records and correspondence
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Omaha Junior Theater -- Records and correspondence
- Omaha Theater Company -- Records and correspondence
- Performing arts -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- VHS (TM) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- administrative reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- design drawings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- paintings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- posters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- theater programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Omaha Theater Company Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Angela Kroeger, Amy Schindler
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States