Turkey Creek Preserve Records
The records of the Turkey Creek Preserve located near Fort Calhoun, Nebraska document activities at and related to the nature preserve founded by Mary Lou Chapek in 2016. The collection includes a scrapbook about Chapek's company MVP Laboratories, Inc. 1981-2016, administrative documents, material from annual meetings, as well as material gathered as part of conservation and research activities including data, photographs, and related material. Conservation and research activities include saw-whet owl banding and nesting boxes, bird banding, bluebird boxes, the planting of an indigenous garden, butterfly counts, bird counts, frog monitoring, trail cams, invasive species control, wildlife rehab by Nebraska Wildlife Rehab, land acquisition, prairie planting, and other projects and initiatives. The MVP Laboratories, Inc. scrapbook includes copies of news clippings, notes, the MVP Envoy newsletter, information about MVP Laboratories co-founder Dr. Lysle "Doc" Wilkins, and other material. In 2021, oral history interviews were conducted with five people associated with Turkey Creek Preserve, including founder Mary Lou Chapek.
- Chapek, Mary Lou (Creator, Person)
- Turkey Creek Preserve Charitable Foundation (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at https://www.unomaha.edu/criss-library/about-us/library-policies/index.php.
0.5 Cubic Feet (1 box)
2.5 Gigabytes (304 digital files) : Reports; Photographs; Meeting Agendas
Language of Materials
Initial intellectual series arrangement for the finding aid: Turkey Creek Preserve Annual Meetings; Turkey Creek Preserve Operations; Turkey Creek Preserve Research; Turkey Creek Preserve Charitable Foundation; Mary Lou Chapek, Personal.
Collection has not yet been arranged and described.
Donated to the UNO Libraries by Mary Lou Chapek in 2019.
Accruals are received on an ongoing, irregular basis.
- MVP Laboratories, Inc.
- Natural areas -- Nebraska Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern saw-whet owl Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plant conservation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Turkey Creek Preserve
- Wildlife conservation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- administrative reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- agendas (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- digital images Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- easement Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Chapek, Mary Lou (Donor, Person)
- Turkey Creek Preserve Records
- In Progress
- Amy Schindler; Angela Kroeger
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States