UNO Dance Collection
Scope and Contents
The materials in the UNO Dance Collection relate to the University of Nebraska at Omaha's dance program, dating from the group's founding as Orchesis in the 1930s, through its replacement by The Moving Company in the 1970s, and to the present. Materials related to the Omaha Modern Dance Collective, a frequent partner of The Moving Company in the 1990s and 2000s, are also included in the collection. The papers include programs, mailers, flyers, posters, correspondence, news clippings, schedules, photographs, negatives, slides, ticket stubs, and other materials covering the period from the 1930s to 2013. The collection documents the productions, dancers, and faculty from Dance at the University of Nebraska at Omaha as well as their partnerships and joint productions with other organizations. The late 20th and early 21st century material includes material particularly related to the career of Prof. Josie Metal-Corbin, the collector and source of acquisition.
New material added since 2015 has not been arranged and described and is not yet available in the finding aid's inventory. The programs, posters, correspondence, photographs, and other material predominantly documents UNO Dance, The Moving Company, and the career and contributions of Prof. Josie Metal-Corbin.
- 1932 - 2020
- Metal-Corbin, Josie (Creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the Nebraska Public Records Statutes (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 84-712 through 84-712.09), and other relevant regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Nebraska Omaha assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of copyright. Whenever possible, Archives & Special Collections will provide information about copyright owners and related information. Securing permission to publish or use material is the responsibility of the researcher. Note that unless specifically transferred to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, any applicable copyrights may be held by another individual or entity. Further information about copyright policy is available at http://libguides.unomaha.edu/library_policies.
9.75 Cubic Feet (14 boxes, photographs, posters)
Material received prior to 2014 has been arranged and described and is arranged chronologically. The folder list is available in this finding aid. A more detailed itemized list is available offline and will be added to the finding aid in the future.
Materials received after 2014 have not yet been arranged or described.
Josie Metal-Corbin, UNO Dance Professor, transferred the records to the Criss Library beginning sometime prior to 2012 and continuing on an irregular schedule through 20175.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Josie Metal-Corbin, UNO Dance Professor, sends materials to the Criss Libray on an irregular schedule. The most recent accrual was received in 20175.
Processed by Angela Kroeger, Archives and Special Collections Associate, in August-September 2013 and Colina Matthews, Archives and Special Collections student assistant, in January 2012. Sweety Yadav added a simplified folder list to ArchivesSpace in May 2015.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dance -- Study and teaching -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dance companies -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metal-Corbin, Josie
- Performing arts -- Nebraska -- Omaha Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. School of Health and Kinesiology
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. The Moving Company
- awards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- fliers (printed matter) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- motion pictures (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- negatives (photographic) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- posters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- programs (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- records (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- theater programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metal-Corbin, Josie (Creator, Person)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. The Moving Company (Creator, Organization)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. School of Health and Kinesiology (Creator, Organization)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha. School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (Creator, Organization)
- UNO Dance Collection
- Colina Matthews arranged and described the original collection in January 2012. Angela Kroeger, Archives & Special Collections Associate, completed the arrangement and description of the collection in August-September 2013. Sweety Yadav, Archives & Special Collections student assistant, added the folder list to ArchivesSpace in May 2015. Angela Kroeger revised finding aid to reflect new accessions in June and July 2015.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- 4th Edition
Part of the University of Nebraska at Omaha Archives & Special Collections Repository
Archives & Special Collections
Dr. C.C. and Mabel L. Criss Library
6001 Dodge St.
Omaha Nebraska 68182-0237 United States