Bail, Philip Milo
Philip Milo Bail (1898-1984), commonly referred to by his middle name, was president of the Municipal University of Omaha from 1948 until 1965. During his time at OU, he oversaw the expansion of the physical campus from two buildings to five and the creation of the College of Education, College of Business Administration, and the College of Adult Education. He is credited with bringing OU into a "Golden Age" and improving OU's status and prestige within and beyond Omaha, Nebraska.
Milo Bail was born in Boonville, MO, in 1899 and received his undergraduate degree from Missouri Valley College in Marshall, MO. Bail moved to Iowa City, Iowa, in 1928 where he earned his Master's and Ph.D. Degrees from the University of Iowa. Before assuming the presidency of the Municipal University of Omaha in 1948, Milo Bail served as Dean of Education at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana. Before that, from 1935 to 1940, he served as president of Chevy-Chase Junior College in Washington, D.C. He held a Ph.D. (1931) and A.M. (1928) from the University of Iowa and an A.B. (1920) from Missouri Valley College.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Various plaques and awards given to University of Omaha president Milo Bail.
The retirement ceremony of University of Omaha President Milo Bail is commemorated in this plaque that includes the remarks of then-Major DeReef Greene representing the Pen and Sword, which stressed the importance of education in the military and thanked Dr. Bail "for allowing bootstrappers to study at OU."