Henry, W. O. (Walter O.), 1858-
- Existence: 1858
Walter Orlando Henry was born in Columbus, Illinois, on February 19, 1858. He studied briefly at Rush Medical College in Chicago. He received his M.D. at Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York in 1879. Dr. Henry traveled to London and Berlin for post-graduate work.
Dr. Henry practiced in Pawnee City, Nebraska, from 1881 to 1891. He then moved his practice to Omaha, Nebraska. Dr. Henry was a gynecologist and orthopedic surgeon at St. Joseph Hospital and Douglas County Hospital. In 1896, he became the chair of gynecology and professor of clinical surgery and surgical anatomy at Creighton Medical College. He was a founder of Omaha’s Presbyterian Hospital and General Hospital. In 1916, Dr. Henry joined the faculty as a professor of clinical surgery at the Post-Graduate Medical School of the University of California.
In 1909, Dr. Henry was a delegate to the International Medical Congress in Budapest, Hungary. He was a member of the Missouri Valley Medical Society, the Los Angeles County Medical Society, and the California State Medical Association. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He was a Progressive nominee for the U.S. senator from Nebraska and chairman of the Douglas County, Nebraska delegation to the state convention in 1914. Dr. Henry died on March 21, 1932, in California.
- Language: English. Script: Latin
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The W. O. (Walter O.) Henry Papers contain print items relating to Dr. Walter O. Henry’s medical career as a gynecologist and surgeon at Creighton Medical College. This collection contains article reprints and Dr. Henry's book A Physician’s Practical Gynecology, 1902. Portraits are also included in the collection.