Rubnitz, Abraham S., 1885-1968
- Existence: 1885-1968 - 1968
Abraham S. Rubnitz was born on January 23, 1885, in Russia. He was the son of Meyer and Ann (Kushner) Rubnitz. In 1908, he graduated from the Gymnasium of Slutzk, Russia. He later came to the United States and Omaha in 1910. In 1915, he received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nebraska (Lincoln). In 1916, he received his MD from the University of Nebraska College of Medicine in Omaha.
On July 12, 1916, he was admitted to the practice of medicine in Omaha. In 1920, he was appointed pathologist for Wise Memorial Hospital in Omaha, and in 1927, he was appointed pathologist for Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1930, he was appointed pathologist at Lutheran Hospital in Omaha. Later in his career, Rubnitz was the Director of the Laboratories of Clinical Pathology, located in the Medical Arts building in downtown Omaha.
Rubnitz also held various posts on the University of Nebraska College of Medicine faculty. He was appointed an assistant professor in Internal Medicine in 1934 and an assistant professor of Pathology in 1948. On May 1, 1951, he was appointed an Emeritus Assistant Professor of Pathology and Bacteriology. He published several articles in medical journals during his career in Omaha.
He was a member of several professional organizations, including the American Medical Association, the Nebraska State Medical Association, the Douglas County Medical Association, and the Missouri Valley Medical Association. He was board certified in Pathology in 1937 and was a founding fellow of the College of American Pathologists. He was also a member of the Zionist Organization of America, Omaha District, and Beth El Synagogue.
Rubnitz married Esther M. Yonich in Russia, on November 24, 1909. They had three children, Josephine (Mrs. Stephen Fraenkel), Miriam (Mrs. Ervin Simon), and Dr. Myron E. Rubnitz.
Dr. Rubnitz died in Omaha on June 24, 1968. He is buried in the Beth El Cemetery.
- Omaha (Neb.) (Place of Death)