Skip to main content

University of Nebraska at Omaha. College of Continuing Studies

 Organization

The College of Continuing Studies at the University of Nebraska at Omaha provided adult education services to nontraditional students, both degree seeking and non-degree seeking. It began in or before 1932/1933 as the Municipal University of Omaha Extension Division (circa 1932/1933-1937/1938). It grew into the School of Adult Education (1938/1939-1951/1952), was upgraded to the College of Adult Education (CAE, 1952/1953-1965/1966), and then became the College of Continuing Studies (CCS, 1966/1967-2002/2003). CCS programs included the Offutt Air Force Base program and the TV Classroom, as well as many conferences. From 1980 until 2000, CCS operated a Downtown Education Center in the Peter Kiewit Conference Center in downtown Omaha. When budget cuts forced UNO to pull out of the Peter Kiewit Center, CCS staffing levels were greatly reduced, non-degree-seeking programs were eliminated, operation of the conference center was eliminated, and CCS's focus was narrowed, leaving only the Bachelor of General Studies degree program. In 2003, CCS was subsumed into the College of Public Affairs and Community Service and downgraded to the Division of Continuing Studies.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

UNO College of Continuing Studies Binder, circa 1970

 Item — Object: Memorabilia [10]
Scope and Contents Empty 3-ring binder branded for the University of Nebraska at Omaha College of Continuing Studies Handbook for Education Officers

(dating to sometime between 1968 and 2003; the contents of the handbook are missing). "Bootstrap" is on the spine and "Handbook for Education Officers" is on the front.
Dates: circa 1970