Nebraska Art Association
- Existence: 1902-2008
On May 3, 1888, a group of men and women decided to form the Haydon Art Club, named after British painter, Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846). The club outlined goals relating to the study and collection of art and sought a venue for the exhibtion of art work. On March 6, 1900, the directors of the Haydon Art Club voted to change the club to the Nebraska Art Association (NAA), which focused on programming and education for the entire state. Frank M. Hall became the first NAA president. Secretary of State of Nebraska George W. Marsh gave official recognition to the NAA on December 17, 1902.
The campus library, once located in Architecture Hall, served as the first site for NAA exhibitions. Eventually, a second-floor wing was dedicated to the art department and an art gallery. Upon the completion of Morrill Hall in 1927, the art gallery moved to the third floor of that building, where it remained for more than 30 years. Through generous donations from Mary Francis Sheldon and her bother Adams Bromley Sheldon, along with the support and efforts of the NAA, the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery, designed by architect Philip Johnson, was formally dedicated on May 16, 1963.
In March 2008, the NAA began operating as the Sheldon Art Association.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
The catalogs and brochures are those created by the Nebraska Art Association for exhibitions that took place at the University between 1909 and 1965, just two years after the dedication of the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery.
The materials include administration and organizational records, meeting minutes, membership reports, financial reports, history, photographs, scrapbooks, and subject files of the association along with materials relating to major donors and leaders of the Nebraska Art Association.
The collection includes a history of the Woods family, correspondence regarding works of art, donations, fund development, and oversight. Appraisal and valuation documents provide information on the art work collected by the Woods family and those pieces donated to the University. The materials also document the process and resolutions proposed to accept the donations and contributions from the charitable gifts of the family.