Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory
In 1919 the Nebraska legislature passed a law requiring that each model of tractor sold in Nebraska be tested, the test results made public, and repair parts made available within the state. Following the legislation, the Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory was established and began conducting tests in 1920 to assure tractor performance upheld manufacturers’ claims. Except for a period during World War II, the laboratory has continued to conduct performance tests and joined the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development as an official test site in 1986. Among the tests conducted by the laboratory are: power take-off tests, drawbar tests, rollover protective structure tests, and tests of sound levels in tractors.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The records contain publications and photographs related to the history of the Biological Systems Engineering Department. Significant photograph subjects include Agricultural Engineering class photos, staff and faculty portraits, L.W. Chase Hall, Energy Farm (Mead, Nebraska), Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, and Tractor Power and Safety Day.