Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Omaha (Neb.)
"The Diocese of Omaha, which included Nebraska and Wyoming, was created on October 2, 1885, while James O’Connor was bishop. The diocese was split on August 2, 1887, and reduced to all counties in Nebraska north of the Platte River. At that time the Dioceses of Lincoln and Cheyenne were created. The Omaha Diocese again was split in March, 1912, as the Diocese of Kearney was created. On April 11, 1917, that diocesan see was transferred to Grand Island as previously disputed counties were transferred to that western Nebraska diocese. The Omaha Diocese became an Archdiocese on October 10, 1945.
"The Archdiocese of Omaha now comprises 14,051 square miles which includes the counties of Boyd, Holt, Merrick, Nance, Boone, Antelope, Knox, Pierce, Madison, Platte, Colfax, Stanton, Wayne, Cedar, Dixon, Dakota, Thurston, Cuming, Dodge, Burt, Washington, Douglas, and Sarpy. There are more than 230,000 Catholics in the 140 parishes and missions."
Excerpted from: "History: Omaha Catholics build the first church in Nebraska territory." Archidiocese of Omaha website. Viewed 8/17/2016. http://archomaha.org/about/history/
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
This small collection includes materials generated for the grand opening of the St. John Paul II Newman center at UNO. These materials include programs for the opening ceremonies, Ribbon cutting and Blessing procedures, and an invitation to the August 14, 2016 Newman Center opening celebration.