Municipal University of Omaha. Air Force ROTC
Air Force ROTC Detachment 470 "Wolfpack" is the detachment of the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps at the University of Nebraska at Omaha (prior to 1968, the Municipal University of Omaha). Discussion about establishing a ROTC unit on the University of Omaha campus began as early as 1936. In 1948, the OU Board of Regents authorized an application for an Air ROTC unit at the university. In 1951, the Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) unit at OU was assigned its first U.S. Air Force officer, Major R. E. Whaley, Assistant Professor of Air Science. AFROTC Detachment 470 remains active at the University of Nebraska at Omaha today.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The Angel Flight collection includes matted portraits of honorary colonels and flight leaders from the 1950s and three scrapbooks from the 1950s through 1978. Two of the three scrapbooks have been disassembled; each of the scrapbooks has customized covers including decorations. The scrapbooks include photographs, news clippings, programs, artifacts, and other material documenting the activities and members of the Angel Flight and Air Force ROTC at the university.
The Arnold Air Society scrapbooks document the tenth annual military ball on March 3, 1961, and activities of the organization from 1966-1968.